Monday 3 June 2013

Steering tube attachment and final back half prep.


I got to spend another couple of hours in the garage today and thought I'd finish off a few things but grinding out the joins etc takes time and a lot of it when its not something you do everyday so I didn't quite get as much done as I hoped.

I woke up thinking about the steering tube attachment this morning... should I weld it to the front half or should I stick to my original plan to bolt it on giving me the added benefit of being able to dismantle it into 2 smaller pieces.

After pondering over it for a few hours I decided to carry through with the plan of bolting it on... for now anyway. I bent up some 3mm steel plate into an L shape a few weeks back with this in mind and had a 38mm hole drilled in each for the steerer tube to fit through and to get welded to. Each L section at this stage is going to be held on by 2 x 10mm bolts... so 4 x 10mm bolts in total. The L sections are going to be hand shaped and will be drilled to house the cable for the front brakes.



This photo is from the inside of the cargo box.


I managed to cut/grind and get the "down tube" ready to tac into place.



No comments:

Post a Comment