Tuesday 21 May 2013

Choosing the right frame.

Being that I'm over 6ft5  finding a frame that fits is a bit of a challenging task.

Here's the sort of questions I asked myself...

New or used? Seeing as though the frame is going to be cut and only the back half used it seemed to me used was a good choice.

Steel or Alloy? Given that I intend to weld to the frame and a Tig welder is out of my price range, steel was the choice.

Disc brake or V brake frame? After a good few web pages and reading numerous reviews of different makes & models of cargo trikes it had become apparent that most people only used the front disc brakes for stopping and the rear brake for a park brake. So for me a V brake frame seemed a good option.

MTB or Road Frame? This was an easy decision as I already had a rear MTB hub and 700c rim that I intend to use.

I bought a couple of cheap second hand frames just to play around with an look at the differing geometries  to see if one would work better then the other and settled on a Giant Yukon SE 20" pictured below.



It's not a pretty frame but it has a good solid rear triangle and slightly oversized top tube and seat tube. It's solid and true.


No comments:

Post a Comment