Friday 24 May 2013

Turn the box or just the wheels?

As mentioned in the last blog I thought I'd go over a few of the reasons why I went for this particular design.

I guess the main factors to consider were... 
Practicality, stability and simplicity
How well the design works on the road(of which I can't test)
And last but not least how it looks

Seeing as though I have never ridden or even been up close to a cargo trike I can only loosely base my decision on others reviews and their experiences with them, along with my own ideas and thoughts on how these things might work in reality.

As I intend on putting my son in the front and tootling him around town, stability, safety and handling were probably my number one concern followed by cargo space and looks.

I really like the simplicity and squareness of the Haley and Christiania trikes and they seem to glide around corners, even though the weight shifts with the box but the main reason I choose the Nihola style was because of the weight staying centralised and that hopefully translating into a more stable ride... providing I can get the steering geometry correct that is.

Because the style I choose requires the wheels to turn, to get a half decent turning radius the wheels have to be spaced a reasonable distance from the cargo box it'self or at least have the room to turn, so this in some way affects the size of the cargo box. The Nihola has over come this by having the front and rear of the box tapered to allow the wheels to turn in without rubbing against the side of the box. 

So I am going to mix the squareness of the Christiania and the tapered style of the Nihola.



This is using 22.2mm x 1.2mm square steel tube, the length is 900mm and the width at the widest part is 700mm.


No comments:

Post a Comment